Forest Hills of DC first opened its doors in April 1889 as The Methodist Home, with the mission to "provide for the aged members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Baltimore Conference in the District of Columbia a comfortable residence with board, clothing, employment, skillful medical and other necessary attendance and the accustomed means of grace."
The original facility, then located on 12th and N Streets, NE, consisted of four lots and an 18-room house; the number of residents was seven.
Increasing numbers of residents required two moves to larger accommodations, once in 1901, and then again in 1926, to our present location on Connecticut Avenue. In 1961, a new wing was built to provide for additional residents. The Methodist Home branched out into the community as well.
Strong ties were established to neighboring religious, civic and service organizations such as Sibley Hospital whose founder, William J. Sibley, was a Methodist Home resident.
Over the years, our services have evolved to keep pace with the changing needs of senior residents. In 2001, we added assisted living suites (bringing the total to 64), a new health care center (with 50 private and semiprivate rooms), and physical therapy services. There is a diverse floor plan selection for the suites, many of which overlook lovely garden areas. A two-story residence with conveniently located elevators provides a setting with intimate seating for conversations and no long hallways.
In 2011, we completed the nearby Forest Side community, the first in the District dedicated exclusively to Alzheimer's and dementia care. Forest Side provides an intimate, homelike residence to those with dementia, Alzheimer's or cognitive impairment requiring full-time specialized care and attention.
In 2014, we celebrated our 125th year and officially changed our name from The Methodist Home of DC to Forest Hills of DC to better reflect the broad spectrum of residents, families and friends we serve in the area of the city known as Forest Hills. Though we have a new identity, we continue to provide the same excellence of care and spiritual support that was the original vision of our founders more than a century ago.